Monday, March 14, 2011

Life on the Refrigerator Door by Alice Kuipers

"When I look at you
I see the woman I want to be
Strong and brave
Beautiful and free"

Last night after sleeping away most of the day and getting caught up on my DVR, I felt like reading, but none of the books I'm currently working on appealed to me. So I picked this one up off the shelf. I bought it online from Barnes and Noble during their after-Christmas clearance but couldn't remember what it was about. Let's just say that after a week of stress and tears, this was the wrong book selection. The author tells this story through notes between a mother and daughter, left on the refrigerator door. The notes show a typical relationship--simple store lists for the daughter to pick up after school, the daughter angry at her mom for a fight they got in about a boyfriend, plans made for a breakfast or dinner together. But the notes also reveal the mother's struggles as she finds out she has breast cancer and finds it hard to tell her daughter the truth. The book was a quick read--I easily read it in about an hour--but heart-wrenching.

*Sniff sniff* I'm grateful for reminders of how much I love my mom.

No comments: