Thursday, March 31, 2011

Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman

"Oysters are a lot like women.
It's how we survive the hurts in life
that brings us strength and gives us our beauty."

Since half of the members of our book club disliked this book, this post might be extra long so that I can say everything I wanted to point out when we met last night. Don't say I didn't warn you :)

I absolutely loved this book. I felt like I was on the verge of tears the entire time because I was sad or touched or happy or simply reflective. CeeCee is such a lovable character. She is an innocent child but also faces a more adult world than she should ever have to see. I love her resilience but also her very tender heart. I think Beth Hoffman does a wonderful job at creating a believable character in CeeCee. 

One of my favorite things about this book was the language. It was utterly beautiful. Things were said in such a romantic manner that I found myself marking down quotes every couple of pages because I felt the characters were talking directly to me. I'm going to share a bunch of those quotes (unless I specify otherwise, it's the narrator, CeeCee, talking):

"When a chapter of your Life Book is complete, your spirit knows it's time to turn the page so a new chapter can begin. Even when you're scared or think you're not ready, your spirit knows you are." - Mrs. Odell

When my fingers touched the knob of the back door, something inside me shifted--I could actually feel it. I knew Mrs. Odell was right. I felt the flutter of a page turn deep within me as a chapter of my Life Book came to a close.

Those six simple words echoed around me and filled the room with light: I’d sure love to have you...I’d sure love to have you...

She glanced over her shoulder at the house, which was now bathed in a warm tint of yellow from the sun. "Yes. Everyone needs to find the one thing that brings out her passion. It’s what we do and share with the world that matters. I believe it’s important that we leave our communities in better shape than we found them." (-Aunt Tootie)

Mrs. Odell once told me that forgiveness had a whole lot more to do with the person doing the forgiving than it did with the person in need of forgiveness. She said holding on to hurt and anger made about as much sense as hitting your head with a hammer and expecting the other person to get a headache.

"I know this is the same sky that hangs over Ohio, but the sun seems bigger here. Everything seems bigger."
She pursed her lips and thought about that for a moment. "Maybe your eyes is just more open." (-Oletta)

(After CeeCee witnessed her new black friends robbed and assaulted) I thought about all the scary stories I’d read where evil-eyed villains left me paralyzed with fear in the wee hours of the night. Yet, no matter what they did or threatened to do, I always knew I could close the book and make them go away. But the man at Tybee Island was real, and what he did had changed my view of the world. Forever.

Miz Obee’s face tensed, but Sapphire looked at her friend kindly, patted the table, and said, "Just set up the board as best you can. We’ll play with whatever we got." I thought that was one of the wisest things I’d ever heard anyone say.

As I watched this silent exchange between Sapphire and Miz Obee, it occurred to me that that’s what friends should do: cherish the good and pretend not to notice the harmless rest.

I actually have a bunch more marked, but I'm tired of typing, and you're probably tired of reading :) Bottom line, I thought this was a heartfelt book with lovable characters, written beautiful that contained countless bits of wisdom. I recommend it to anyone.

2 comments:

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

I just have to point out that I love your rainbow text.

Wendy said...

Yay :)